Wednesday 14 January 2015

The Levanter

It was about this time last year that I was telling you about my preparations to leave the UK to work in Vietnam.

It was an exciting time of moving, planning and saying goodbye, for I genuinely had no idea when I would return.

In the 5 months I've been home I've found a job, a home and driven my way through 2 cars. It's not been a time for travel, but for rebuilding a life here in England now that (at the very least) we are confident it's the place for us.

As we finished up our Christmas festivities though, an old familiar yearning stirred within me. Could it be that after a busy period of family visits and nights in the pub with friends I was feeling some wanderlust?

It was the levanter*. I was yearning to travel. Pack up, ditch the WiFi and charge the camera.

So, after a few days of hunting for bargains, scouring for the right flight dates and accounting for local religious festivals (ah, to be travelling again) Mark and I had booked a trip to Marrakech.

Marrakech has been on my wanderlist for as long as I've had one. Souks, deserts camels and plenty of tea tick all my boxes.

Despite telling myself I'd be content to stay on home soil for 12 months following 6 on the road, I must admit I was a little surprised at how animated I got at the idea of a break abroad; but I'm glad my sense of adventure is still there.

So, here's to a wonderful 2015, sure to be filled with a few trips away and lots of UK based adventures along the way! If you have any tips for travelling in Marrakech, please leave them in the comments section below.

Happy travelling x


*The levanter is the wind from Africa to southern Spain, which called Santiago back to his true love in Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist.

No comments:

Post a Comment